Thursday, November 24, 2011

Surgery hurdle cleared!

Today is Thanksgiving and I have so much to be thankful for! I wasn't sure there would even BE a Thanksgiving, but some awesome friends brought over enough food for ten people and we've had a royal feast today.  I'm so completely grateful for the people I've come to know and love over the years.  I'm very, very lucky.

I'm a week out from surgery now. Dr. Moore (my plastic surgeon) saw me yesterday and says everything is healing wonderfully and I should have the drains out the next time I see him on Tuesday. He seemed to feel really good about my progress and the one nipple I got to keep (the left). I've only been a little grossed out when I happen to feel around one night and could feel the crinkliness of the not-yet pumped up expanders under my skin. Blech. But my tits are going to look great once they're all done and that makes me pretty happy.

I'm off the Lortab as of yesterday (thank the gods), walking around (up to a 1/2 mile today), getting up and down the stairs, and bathing and dressing myself. I still have a lot of muscle soreness and getting myself out of bed in the morning is hard, but I'm impressed with my recovery and abilities probably more than anyone else. I have a pretty low threshold for pain so I thought this would just kick my ass for a good while. I've had some crap days and some crap hours, but for the most part I'm in very good spirits and I feel pretty damn good. I'm surprised by how strong I am physically; how tough I am mentally; and how resilient I am in every way.  This is not entirely news to me, but it's nice to have hard evidence!

Next up is a follow up with the PS, then a follow up with the surgeon on Dec. 12th.

ETA:  I'm knitting today, y'all!  YAY!!!





2 comments:

  1. Melanie, you kick butt and I'm proud to know you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, I'm so glad you're doing well. Thanksgiving really takes on an entirely different dimension once you've had a true challenge, doesn't it?

    Much love and healing mojo, hoarlein.

    --Deb (WickedSpinner)

    ReplyDelete