Monday, January 9, 2012

Chemo Round 1

I got news that I'll only have to do four rounds of TC (chemo lite, in my mind) over three months!  I started on Thursday, January 5th and here's a breakdown of how the next few days went:

Day 1: IV day.  They gave me 4 bags of various pre-meds (Benadryl, anti-nausea meds, etc) then two bags of chemo drugs.  I felt kinda sleepy, but I imagine the Benadryl was responsible for that.  The first day took about 5 hours because they were behind on insurance stuff and had a lot of patients.  The actual IV part only took about 3.5 hours.  Not so bad, and next time should be even faster.  I started feeling a little loopy and weak later in the evening, but still no real symptoms other than a loss of taste and some metallic-esque tastes in my mouth.

Day 2: I'm a bit sleepy today, but I didn't sleep well last night due to the steroids they gave me for the 3 days post chemo.

Day 3: I slept pretty good last night and did a lot more than I thought I could today, including a visit to the chiropractor, brunch with some LSG friends, chilling at the yarn store, and going for a short walk.  I feel a bit like I do before I get a cold, so kind of run down, but otherwise I seem to be ok.

Day 4:  I did ok today too, for the most part. There's some mild tummy discomfort and a bit of chest and facial flushing sometimes, but both are side effects of the steroid and it will be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow when those are gone - luckily I only have to deal with those for three days each round! The steroid also keeps me awake, so I may be more tired than I realize.

Day 5:  I got plenty of sleep last night and today I feel just fine!  I know some of the fatigue will be cumulative, but if this is the worst of it, I'm completely ok with the whole process.  I think the pre-meds and steroid are really helpful in preventing the major side effects and I hope they continue to go that route with me.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad it is going okay. I have been thinking of you lots and sending all sorts of healing, feeling good energy. (((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! i'm so glad to read this! but i'm not surprised cuz you da shiz, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep kicking cancer in the bum. So glad it's not too horrible for you. Love and mojo IKIP.

    ReplyDelete